Wednesday 25 November 2015

MA Week 8 - Presenting my presentation thought process


I’ve been working on my “professional” context presentation, and thought it could be useful to share the way I work. It’s a kind of unstructured structuredness somehow!

Everything I do starts off with a kind of fag packet approach. I have to write things down to get the thought process going. Then I do kind of spider diagrams and scribble on these in layers… so perhaps my often-layered creative work has the same root somewhere in the primordial soup of my brain. So the approach to this presentation was the same, as shown below in pages from my notebook. I then started researching actual facts and figures and pulling these together.

 
 
Then the structure itself started to become clear to me. I grouped the ideas around central themes. This is also always a facet of how I work. The notebook page below shows this. It’s interesting that what I scribbled below wasn’t too far from how the actual presentation turned out.
 

These are a couple of other pages starting to note what needs to go with each slide and to work out how the networking and collaboration bits were going to fit in. At this stage I was doing lots of drafting and moving around of slides. It took a while for this middle bit of this presentation to settle into place.


I worked on the content of the slides and the script at the same time. This helped me to get a feel for what I could and couldn’t include, given the timeframe of 10 minutes. To be quite honest, I’ve done lots of presentations in my previous professional life so I had an idea at the outset how much material I would need to generate to fill, but not overfill, the time.

The scripts and slides have now been incorporated into my week 9 blogpost on the presentation, so anyone reading this can see how it finally turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment