Friday 29 April 2016

MA Week 25 - reflection on April


Reflection on April – 29th April 2016

April turned out to be a pretty rubbish month all round, to be honest. Some very difficult personal circumstances consumed most of my energy and wherewithal so I got little done on my MA studies. 

One thing I did try was to use post-its to record reflections within the sketchbook I’d started. This worked to a certain extent. I deliberately didn’t want that book filling with writing and this seemed like a reasonable way to capture my thoughts at the time, without reams of writing. I will probably continue using this technique although not all the time.

Answers on a post-it
 
I moved seamlessly on from working on pictures of cranes to images of pylons. There is a similarity of structure between the two somehow, with the criss-cross struts. I tried drawing a little pylon-based scene as a basis for a drypoint but it was very poor and I got really disheartened with myself. Mentioning this to my lovely classmates, a few of them said they’d also had non-productive Aprils, which perked me up a bit. I decided to break the cycle of not being able to draw by trying some drawn monoprinting. 

My first attempts were not brilliant but they were a damn sight better than the pencil drawings I’d done earlier in the week. The best one is shown here, although there is an issue in the paper taking up the ink where I’ve moved my hand over the surface as I made the marks on the back. Lyndon advised me to use an arm rest to try to eradicate this “smudging”. This is based on a picture I took of some industrial installation or other next to the M1 in Rotherham on a journey down South (disclaimer: I wasn’t driving).

 
Mucky monoprint

The monoprinting allows looser marks than I seem to be able to make with a pencil and this loosening of the marks seemed to help to loosen the general creative tension a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment