Monday 1 August 2016

MA Week 38 - Monoprinting is addictive


Reflection on the last week – 1st August 2016

I finally made it back into the Print Room last Friday, and what’s more, I was in the company of my classmate Sue, which made it even better.

I’d asked Sue if she would be kind enough to come in as she is a much more advanced printmaker than I, and I wanted to pick her brains. It’s been quite hard plodding on with the printing without the community of my MA mates in their critical friend role. We chatted for about an hour at lunchtime and I showed her some of my monoprints. There were some that I’d thought were finished, but then I wasn’t so sure – should I work into them further? Sue agreed that they were finished. We talked about the fact that you can work on a monoprint indefinitely as it’s such a free process – you rarely start it with a definite end product in mind. Sue was also interested in an idea that I keep toying with, that is, to cut some of the prints into squares and form a “mosaic”. I’d more or less shelved the idea but her enthusiasm has persuaded me that I should resurrect it. So that’ll be to do later this week, then. 

In the printroom itself, I experimented with a few different textures in monoprinting and kept the little squares of card I’d used as resists and which now had the textured print on them. I might collage them or present them somehow. Then I moved onto pulling last week’s drypoint. It worked quite well and I also printed it over a monoprint. Lots of scope there for mixing the two print types and I’m hoping I might be able to get another couple of examples before hand-in. I’d also like to work into the drypoint plate a little more but I’m not sure I’ve got the time to do that. I really need to move onto getting everything together for the hand-in now.

New drypoint plus monoprints
We had an issue with the much-loved Albion press as it had somehow got uneven pressure and it warped Sue’s 50x50cm aluminium plate – I was mortified. Toni, the technician, rectified it as best she could but it still wasn’t right – I pulled a print off the pylon plate and it warped that too. There wasn’t time to sort it out fully so I hope it is back in action for later this week.

Toni was bookbinding so that’s on my to do list now also – ideas of using the monoprints as book covers or as pages within a notebook. She advised me to keep coming to the print room next term even though the dissertation is likely to take over, even if to just do a couple of monoprints. That way, she said, I wouldn’t lose the “feel” of printmaking. Sounds like wise words and I will try to keep it up if I possibly can. 

Otherwise endless catching up with creative journal – I am now only 3 weeks behind!

No comments:

Post a Comment