Tuesday 24 January 2017

MA Week 53 - Progress (or lack of it)


Reflection on the past two weeks, 24th January 2017

 
Having restarted reasonably well, I sadly faltered almost immediately, going down with an infection. The combination of that and strong antibiotics knocked me out for a couple of weeks. I tried to get back into the print room last Friday to carry on with the Mabgate drypoint, but due to a mix-up it turned out to be booked out for BA students so I couldn’t get in. Ho hum. In the end I did a bit of mark making.

Feeling under pressure due to losing so much time, I started an acrylic painting on paper on Saturday. I was aware when I was doing it that I was a bit rushed and I didn’t quite know what I was doing. When I looked at it the next morning, I knew it was time to hit the brakes. I hadn’t tested the composition and I hadn’t tested the paint mixing. Would I ever have put a computer program live without testing? No. A wake up call – get back to my proper working processes… develop, test, think, act, review, repeat.

So I’ve done a bit more mark making, and I quite like one of the results. I need to experiment with it further, then hopefully it could work up into perhaps acrylic and/or oil pastel and/or pastel. The earlier marks I made could also come into this piece or possibly a piece of their own. I feel a bit more organised and hopeful, but there’s a lot more thinking to do.

 
Possibilities....

Something more positive is that I’ve volunteered to help with the organisation of the End of Year show. We don’t yet know when it will be, so planning is a bit difficult, but we’ve already identified tasks that need doing. I’ve set us up a twitter account, though there’s not a lot to tweet at the moment, but we are ready when there is!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment