Thursday 10 August 2017

MA Week 80 – writing up and wrapping up; an end and a beginning


 
Reflection on the past 10 days, 10th August 2017

 
A final etch

Most of my “spare” time since last week’s post has been taken up with preparing for hand-in, but I did get time to have one last day in the print room. I decided that I would like a souvenir of the “Movement” show at Left Bank Leeds, so I did a small plate etching of the venue. Etching and aquatint are teaching me a lot about composition and tonal values.  However, the foreground was still a bit light after the plate had bitten. I only had time to do that one ground on this plate, so I had to drypoint into it. This worked OK in the hatching of the shaded areas. The end result was pretty good for a piece that took just a couple of evenings to prepare then a leisurely day to etch and print. It was great to work without the pressure of trying to get something done for hand in – if it didn’t work, it didn’t matter. It printed up really quite nicely on the Somerset paper (soak well, blot well!).
 
Souvenir: of the exhibition at Left Bank and of happy days in the Print Room at College

 
Preparing for submission

Getting ready for the final submission has been a long process. It was quite exciting to see all my work together ready for mounting, but less exciting when I got spray mount onto the face of one of the aquatint prints and had a paddy of Biblical proportions (both situations were dealt with swiftly and smoothly by my in-house team).
 
Writing up the entire module’s practice holistically (rather than chronologically)  has, inevitably, yielded fresh insights. One of the more interesting ones is the creative tension between controlling a process and letting the process take its own course. Whilst experimenting with different types of paper for etching (see this week 79 blogpost), I’ve been making notes on soaking times and amount of blotting needed, plus ideas about how to ink and wipe the plates. I also made a test aquatint strip to try to have some control over how long to bite the plate for. This methodical, controlled approach is quite in contrast to the much looser process of monoprinting, where the colours and shapes drive the process. The inking of the “Gentrification” drypoint is somewhere between the two; part controlled inking and wiping, part monoprint. This then starts to give rise to thoughts of how these different approaches could cross over into one another.

It’s incredible to think that the MA is now at an end, but really it feels like a stepping stone to whatever comes next, rather than an “end” per se. That said, I was really sad when I left the Print Room today after saying goodbye to the staff. I’ve learnt a great deal over the two years, and in particular I’m amazed at the amount I’ve achieved in the past few weeks, especially as I work part-time too. It seems that since the start of June, all the hard work has started to pay off. I believe I now have a consistent practice, anchored in theories of place, psychogeography, identity and heritage,  that I can articulate visually and verbally, and which is of interest to others.
 
Next Steps

The first thing after hand in will be to have a rest, some time off from art practice completely, then come back to it afresh from September. I will obviously have to move my printing practice from College (no more big Rochat press! Aagh!). Hopefully I will move to Leeds Print Workshop, where there will be some familiar faces as some of the College staff and former students are members of the co-operative there. I’ve got a future reading list lined up, both theory and practical. I also want to do a lot of mark making to loosen up my style a little. Alongside this I will be keeping in touch with fellow MA-ers who have become my Community of Practice, and looking for opportunities to exhibit together.

 
Thank you very much

I would like to thank everyone who’s helped me along the way; my classmates – especially Sue, Carol, Mel, Paula and Larissa; Sharon; all the Print Room staff; Michelle; and of course, Nick, without whose support I wouldn’t be doing this. Thanks also to everyone who’s read the blogposts and found them interesting. The encouragement is much appreciated.  

Pressing publish on this post will be the last action of the MA bar the hand-in (and probably a few beverages thereafter). However, the blog has helped my reflective practice so I am intending to continue to blog but not as frequently, perhaps one or two posts per month.  

Signing off for now. Got something in my eye. Honestly.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. There is a mixed feeling of elation combined with grieving for the end of a course, a weird mix. You have done so well to work to the end of your two years. What an achievement. X

    ReplyDelete