Monday 15 February 2016

MA Week 17 - metaphorically speaking


My work is memory. It is my heritage, and yours. It is the story of our industry that once stood proud and gave rise to the North. It is the story of the decline of our industry under the hated Margaret Thatcher. It describes what I feel about my life. It describes what you feel about your life. It wanders through walls. It wanders through words. I wonder why it wanders in the way it does. 

My practice hides. It threatens to spill out what you are keeping in. It lets out the secrets from the hospital wards. It holds a mirror to reality. It says things you don’t like. It says the things I didn’t like. But most of all it hides. If you look deep enough you can catch a glimpse. 

My practice is black. Oh, and sometimes it’s red. It is deep lines, black lines, scratched lines. Ink. Pencil. Charcoal. Acrylic. Sweat. Blood. Tears. Exasperation. All in every piece, for you to pay a cursory glance, if I’m lucky, then swing on. 

My practice is not happy. Neither is it unhappy. It’s how it is. It’s real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment