Monday 17 April 2017

MA Week 65 - Mini-dérive with Michelle


Reflection on the past week, 17th April 2017

 
Dériving in Burley

My arty friend Michelle and I had been pondering a possible collaboration and we decided to go for a wander, a mini-dérive as it turned out. We set off from the University when I broke up for Easter on Maundy Thursday, and wandered. So even though we had a definite starting point, we weren’t sure where we’d end up. 
Grate stuff

I mentioned to Michelle, Tina Richardson’s advice to “see the familiar anew” and even though we started out on the University campus, that’s what I did. Walking with someone else, who perceived the surroundings differently to me, meant that I saw things that she picked out that I would have overlooked. A good example was the many different grates and manhole covers on campus, all with their own design. I even found a grimy corner of campus that I’d never seen before, and a bit of Woodhouse Moor I’d never walked on.  

A quiet corner of campus
 

Leaving Woodhouse Moor, we drifted down towards Cardigan Road. We chatted as we drifted, commenting on the surroundings, where might we go next, what did this used to be. I also felt much less obvious and self-conscious than when wandering alone. I enjoyed being in this old part of the city, now mainly a student area, but with lots of lovely Northernness still to enjoy. My favourite part came last; the abandoned Burley Library, painted a lovely blue that was peeling back to reveal red. So many layers and shapes.

 
Burley Library, detail

Developing some ideas

Initial ideas I jotted into my phone after the walk:
  • Something with the shapes and that blue from Burley Library
  • Drypoint of the wander - do a sketch first of interesting shapes, views, vignettes & combine
  • Shapes from grates as a "peephole" into something else? Layer up? Acetates?

The following day, I did a sketchbook page with sketches of the most interesting shapes and scenes. I’d taken over 100 photographs (!), providing a lot of interesting source material, and the issue now is how to combine these. Then I started combining these into abstract shapes. There was a tree shape that I thought would give a centrepiece for a possible abstract. I decided it would be interesting to put this as a negative space but as I drew it it using a graphite stick and putty rubber I could see that it was turning into the map from the Mabgate abstract paintings I did for the MMU conference. Pressing on, I added a coal chute and some bricks but I wasn’t sure what to do next, so left this to try something else. The coal chute is calling to me, though. 

Ideally I would have liked to be able to photocopy the sketchbook pages onto acetate, cut them up and play around with them. It being the Easter weekend, College is closed so I decided to simply draw layers of shapes on top of one another. Again,  I expected that the tree would form a kind of natural dividing line within the page I was working up, but I’m beginning to get the sense that the tree is not really what I'm looking for. What seems to work are the geometric shapes. These are mainly circles and this presents a problem. It's difficult to etch a circle. I don’t have any dividers and a quick experiment with using a compass with an etching needle in the place of the pencil didn’t work. At the moment I don't have a solution to this but I will see if I can acquire or borrow some dividers.

 
Other sketches

I did think I’d do some painting today, but I wasn’t in a painting mood so I’ve been fighting my laptop and am now on my third blogpost of the day. I’ve also been working on a sketch of St. Paul’s Cathedral. I’m trying to improve my drawing and my understanding of perspective, through action research i.e. drawing practice. I’m quite pleased with today’s effort (St Paul's 2) although it’s not perfect. I want to turn this into a mini etch at some point.





St Paul's 1
St Paul's 2





 
 
 
 
 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment