Monday 24 April 2017

MA Week 66 - Painting out of my comfort zone


Reflection on the past week, 24th April 2017

 
I had the good fortune to go away for a couple of days after Easter so I didn’t get the chance to work further on ideas from last week’s mini-dérive. I did, however, go on a one-day painting course led by Julia Borodina. The day looked at using collaged elements and large areas of bold colour in landscape painting. 

The basic premise was to use big blocks of thick colour, starting by applying with a house paint brush and moving down in brush size from there. Spattering, collaged elements that hung over the side of the paper and scratching into the paint were all positively encouraged. The idea of using these big, bold colour blocks was quite alien to me, and I wasn’t alone! However, with a lot of help from Julia I managed to produce this work.

 


It’s really too colourful for me and I would like to try this technique out again with a limited palette. That way I would be more confident about the colours and could give more attention to the technique. I also wasn’t sure about the collaged elements – I didn’t think they added a great deal, apart from perhaps the crinkled paper in the “mountains”. However, other people had used this more successfully, to provide sculptural elements to their paintings. 

One thing I did really like was the scratching to reveal colours hidden underneath. This scratching technique comes in over and over again in my work. The techniques we used were something I think I’d been aspiring too, but I hadn’t quite got there. It was a really good day packed with lots of useful ideas and I expect it will provide a good starting point for future painting projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment