Thursday 29 October 2015

MA Week 4 - Brick Rubbing (or not)

 

After discovering I’d been doing action research in week 3, I thought it would be a good idea to share a bit of this month’s action research. 
 
I’ve decided that I will start my MA investigations by looking into bricks. Long story, but everything I create seems to be either to do with industry (or lack of it) or my identity, particularly what I (we?) keep in and what I show. So bricks seem to span the two, so to speak; they can form a barrier, but they also form the built (industrial) environment. 
 
I had hoped to be able to print from some bricks, but it didn’t happen that way. However, I did spend a very happy afternoon experimenting (i.e. action researching) and recording the results in my creative journal, as pictured.  I learnt quite a lot, even if it wasn’t what I expected to learn. This is the best thing about creative art practice; you start out with an idea and thoughts on how you’re going to deliver it. The delivery never
works out in the way you expect and then you go on to deliver something else completely. I also love the way the experimenting absorbs you completely. An afternoon of fresh air and mindfulness! What more could any artist want!


No comments:

Post a Comment