Wednesday 28 October 2015

MA week 3 - researching research methods


Research Methods – initial investigations

I was fortunate enough to find a book entitled “Research Methods in Education (Cohen et al) which introduces different methods in bite-size, digestible chapters. A quick browse through yielded two methods which I think are currently relevant: Grounded Theory and Action Research.

Action Research is described thus “ the combination of action and research render that action a form of disciplined, rigorous enquiry, in which a personal attempt is made to understand, improve and reform practice” This method involves problem-posing as well as problem-solving –so there has to be some definition of the problem beforehand.  (Cohen et al, 2011, pp 345-346). Approaches can vary from “scientific” to self-reflective enquiry; however, “The goal of action research is improvement” (ibid, p358).
 
Action (acrylic test piece, 2013)
Research
 
I understand this as follows: if I pose myself an investigative question – such as “how do acrylic media behave?”,  then I can undertake an action regarding this – paint a test piece – and then write a reflective summary – the research. My reflection then feeds what I do next, which may be further tests, or the question may be sufficiently answered that the practical experience gained can be used in a resolved piece.

Grounded Theory states that the theory emerges from the data, rather than vice versa. It holds that patterns and theories are implicit in the data, waiting to be discovered. The theory is emergent rather than pre-defined and tested. In rigorous use of grounded theory, data is coded and presently central themes (or codes) emerge. Presently a core variable or category emerges, which is one to which most categories are related. When using grounded theory, you have to be able to tolerate uncertainty and avoid premature conclusions (ibid, pp 598-603).

As I’ve been examining my practice ahead of giving my presentation on my theoretical context, I have effectively been using a version of this. If I consider that my pieces of work are my data, I have been informally reviewing them to group them together. I have identified three “meta-narratives” (heritage, identity and process theory) and these could effectively be classed as the “core categories” derived from the “data”.

 


Cohen, L., Manion, L.,& Morrison, K. (2011) Research Methods in Education. Abingdon, Routledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment