Friday 30 October 2015

MA Week 5 - Thinking about printmaking


Creative thoughts!
Although there is little time left over from all the theoretical research to do anything creative, I’ve managed to fit in a little bit of printmaking. I’ve reflected on it in my creative journal but thought it deserved a mention here, too, since it constitutes research of a kind.

I had a go at linocutting earlier in the month and really enjoyed it. I like the way you kind of have to “think backwards” and work up from light to dark. My technique leaves a lot to be desired but I am going to get some cheap linocutting gear and have a go at home. This experimenting can be a form of action research.

Bricks & Brambles
I also wanted to have another go at drypoint so I treated myself to a half-day course at the West Yorkshire Print Workshop (WYPW). Again, the quality of what I produced left a lot to be desired, but I could immediately see how I could improve. The images show my reflection in my creative journal and the third proof (referred to as (3) in the reflection).

I set myself the professional goal of learning more about printmaking as part of this term’s objectives. Since the WYPW session I’ve had another go at drypoint in college. I can think of ways I could develop it – for example, printing the same image on top of each other in different colours, to represent the kind of distortion of normality that seems to be ever present in my life these days; obscuring part of the print – again a distortion; trying chine collé of some kind; printing non-related images over each other. I think these kind of ideas tie in with my generally “layered” approach to producing artwork. I suspect I will end up carrying forward my “printmaking” objective into the next module.

No comments:

Post a Comment