Thursday 14 January 2016

MA Week 13 - Bowie's Performance of Death : a personal view


I was never a full-on fan of Bowie, but him and his music have somehow always been there – I remember the older girls at Grammar School discussing the lyrics to Life of Mars and me wondering what it all meant (I may well have not been the only one). In the past few years, through studying art, I’ve realised how Bowie and his Glam Rock compatriots started to break down the taboo surrounding homosexuality and how they played out gender fluidity on Top of the Pops years before anyone else realised it existed. This particularly struck me when visiting the exhibition “Glam : the performance of Style” at Tate Liverpool in April 2013.

Part of the purpose of music and art, in my opinion, is to challenge taboos. Bowie’s performance of his own death via the song and video “Lazarus” – which I viewed on YouTube after his death along with most of the Western World -  might hopefully start to challenge our attitude to death, which seems to me to be one of the last taboos. I’m not trying to suggest we should spend all our time contemplating our last breath, but this is going to happen to all of us and we should get the most out of today – every day. None of us know how much time we have left. We need to acknowledge that, we need to acknowledge that we’ll deteriorate as we approach old age (if we get there), and we need as a society to perhaps think about things such as how we deal with ill people, introduction of bereavement leave and how we treat colleagues who’ve  lost someone. Death is the norm, yet we pussyfoot around it like nothing else.

In the catalogue for the “Glam” exhibition, there is a photograph of Candy Darling (who “shaved her legs then he was a she” in Lou Reed’s “Walk on the Wild Side”) evidently on her deathbed, wig askew, full make-up, a rose thrown across the bed (Hujar, 1973). It was the first, and only other, time I’ve seen death performed in this way. The arts give us the power to deal with challenges creatively. Bowie’s tender and artistic depiction of his own forthcoming demise should be an eye-opener and a wake-up call for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment