Sunday 24 January 2016

MA Weeks 13 & 14 - Theoretical Perspectives


Reflection on taught sessions, 15.01.2016 and 22.01.2016

Theoretical perspectives
 

Theoretical perspectives are considered important in art practice in terms of communicating across disciplines and other boundaries. A theoretical perspective is a set of "truths" , according to a quote used from Anderson and Herr. The choice of the word "truths" seems odd to me. Isn't it rather a set of opinions, which hopefully are rigorously explored and argued?  Theoretical perspectives can help us to look at what we're doing (creating, making, writing). Practice can develop knowledge and equally, academic research can develop knowledge. Theoretical perspectives can allow us to analyse and articulate this knowledge. 

Some examples of theoretical perspectives:
  • Feminist
  • Marxist
  • Socially critical
  • Interpretivist
  • Post modernist
  • Post structuralist
  • Deconstructivist 
Some elements of a theory may resonate but others may not. You may need to pick and choose, which is acceptable, but must be justified. 

Theoretical perspectives usually divide into quantitative and qualitative. Quantitative perspectives are positivist and assume one truth. Examples given were science, religion, politics, philosophy. Do each of these have one truth? I don't think they do, or if they do, it is only at a very general level. 

Characteristics of qualitative perspectives include multiple "truths" , discursive, reflexive. They are more concerned with an individual than a group and do not view a situation as static. This type includes theoretical perspectives such as narrative theory and phenomenology. The latter concerns how we experience the world vs what physically makes up the world, and one fellow student gave a good example of this; the scientific universal truth of a glass of water vs the experience of drinking that glass of water. and narrative theory. I could grasp that. 

As researchers and practitioners we do not exist in a vacuum, but rather in a community of some sort, with shared techniques, theories and problems. The shared matters form a paradigm (a framework, a world view, a general set of beliefs) that can guide our research or practice. So as an MA cohort we are a community with different practices but within the paradigm of the MA. I also exist as an artist within a very loose Twitter community of artists with whose work I identify in some way. They are all very different - printmakers, fine artists, ceramicists - but I find something in common with their work and I enjoy seeing their working processes when they are kind enough to share work in progress.  

I am not sure I totally understand the concept of a paradigm and I need to look at this further when (if) I ever get the time. I understand the concept of a framework of beliefs but there seemed to be an implication within this session that the paradigm is prioritised and that any occurrence that tests the paradigm needs to be bent into line so that it fits in with the paradigm. Everyone has beliefs but they change with time and experience. I still have strongly held beliefs that I've held since childhood but they are not now so absolute as life experience has, inevitably, introduced grey areas. 

Some definitions that were offered:

Epistemology is the theory of knowledge and is concerned with validity and scope of knowledge and the distinction between justified belief and opinion. This is of interest to me as in a past life I worked on project business cases and this taught me the rigour of justifying an argument. It's a skill which transfers into academic research although the approach is different. I now find myself justifying my argument with citations of others of the same opinion who've managed to get it published!  

Ontology is concerned with the nature and relations of being. It recognises the sentience of our being and that we give and receive knowledge and understanding to each other. An interesting example that was thrown in here is the beliefs of the Middle Ages (as we perceive them now, note) based on religion. Today's world view is difference; secular or many religions. This didn't receive a lot of discussion and although I can understand it as an example, I'm not sure it is a wholly valid one as the "beliefs of the Middle Ages" seemed to equate to the Western Art canon when the comment was made. 

Interpretivist theory is concerned with the role of the individual within the collective social group. It looks at what drivers are making that person behave in that way. Life stories and narrative histories with a particular viewpoint ("lens") are part of this tradition. Socially critical perspective is similar. It looks at levels of power within society and works to develop social change through changing individual and group consciousness. These both sound interesting although I suppose I am commenting on social change rather than causing it. 

From a very different viewpoint, there was an acknowledgement that art research by practice is often motivated by deeply personal concerns. It's therefore based on "local" (personal) knowledge as well as theorised knowledge. This logic may often be lost when writing up. We need to recognise that art may be bringing new theories and realities. This is important to me because I think the voice of the visual needs to be prioritised and this is best done by creating visual work which is then opened up to others for them to comment if they wish.   

A few points from the discussion in class on 22nd January:  

Does language allow you to pull in the viewer or does it alienate them? Are the artist's intention and the viewer's intention equally valid? A recurring theme is that of language as emotive. All words are loaded with a meaning other than the dictionary definition, depending on the context in which they are used. There was an opinion that art can actually be seen as a non-elitist expression. Someone quoted Billy Childish - site yourself on the fringes, do what you want, what's inside you. In other words, don't worry about writing about it or what others are going to write about it. 

We concern ourselves with "how" and "why" artists have done things. But do we need to know why? Can't we have our own opinion on that? Personally I find it helps if I know something of the context of an artwork. I am big on context, though, in all aspects of my professional life. I think some knowledge of the artist or their situation at that point in time gives you a way into the work. What you find next is up to you. Another classmate gave a good quote:  "your art should speak for itself and your words should only enhance it". I think that is probably a validation of my idea of having a little bit of context.  

Another thought was that successful art should resonate with others. In my opinion most art resonates with at least some others in different ways. No one piece of art is ever going to resonate with everybody! 

Well, after two weeks of talking about theoretical perspectives, I think I am more confused than ever. I definitely have some element of feminist perspective but it is not over-riding and neither is it backed up by extensive reading - it's just from growing up in the 1970s. The introductions to what I would consider the more nebulous theories mentioned above seem to need backing up by more extensive reading, but until I can find some theoretical perspective in which to anchor my work, I don't know if I even need to do that reading- and time, as always, is of the essence. During the discussion someone mentioned nihilism as a theory of having no theories and to be honest this sounds attractive at this point in time. It's associated with atheism, though, which is definitely not me. 

I would have liked more detailed sessions in theoretical perspectives, perhaps with a bit more information about some of the main theories. Feminism and Marxism always seem to be the main ones peddled out, but surely there are theories to do with lived experience? Perhaps I just haven't found them yet, although I have been looking.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment