Monday 27 March 2017

MA Week 62 - Etching, processes, crit… and London


Reflection on the past week, 27th March 2017

 
Printing and processes

Following on from last week’s blogpost, I updated my overall plan but decided I needed more tactical, day by day plans, to allow me to focus and get something done. I decided that I should work around being able to get into the Print Room on Friday. I wanted to restart etching but felt unsure about how to do so.

It’s amazing what a bit of thinking time can do. A few strands came together, somehow. A couple of weeks back I had a discussion with one of my fellow students about how my health difficulties impact on my ability to produce work. I seem to have intense phases of activity followed by days or weeks of inability to do anything, even blog. She said, “that’s your practice. Work with it”. This quite obvious piece of information came as both a revelation and a relief. Within creative practice there always seems to be a driver to do work on a grand scale. Realising that smaller pieces of work can also be valid suddenly opened up new ways of working.

Allied with this, I’d been reading and pondering upon a newspaper that I’d received at the MMU conference. The illustrated paper is by Howard Read, whom I’d met and talked with briefly, and it describes his visual and academic research into the gentrification of Elephant and Castle in London. The subject material was of obvious interest to me. Alongside considerations of the removal of social housing and the creeping gentrification, Howard had discussed in detail the purpose of sketching and drawing. Again, a real insight: not all drawings have to be finalised. Indeed many drawings should not be finalised as they are a contribution to a future, finalised piece. A sketch can be just that – a visual note, so to speak.

Original photo....
These two strands manifested themselves in a realisation that I didn’t need to rush anything; I could work on a smaller scale with a more robust process. I therefore got an A5 sketchbook and did a (reversed) sketch of one of the Mabgate photos. It isn’t perfect, but it is allowed to be like that. I also moved some things around in the composition to suit my purpose. I let myself enjoy the sketching rather than pressurising myself and it worked so much better. The following evening, I found the little copper plates that hadn’t worked in the Summer, and found I’d re-ground them. I freehand-etched the same image into one of them.

 
Etching based on photo

I hadn’t been in the print room for so long that I felt slightly nervous returning. By happy coincidence, Mike (the technician) had been doing some etching so had up-to-date experience of how long to bite the plates. I bit it for 29 minutes, inked it, printed it and… it worked! 7 x 4.5cm of wonderful scratchy black marks. I spent the rest of the session working with different papers (Canaletto and Zerkel) and different levels of polishing, to get used to using the copper. The plate’s previous biting (from the Summer) has left it pitted and this gives an interesting undertone, so this is possibly something to do more deliberately as I move on. I also sanded and inked another of the little plates from the Summer ready for the next piece.

 
Crit

The same day, five of us got together for a crit. I’d brought in the paintings I did for the MMU conference plus the Mabgate office print (see this week 51 blogpost) , but by this time I’d printed the little plate and had become quite immersed in that. Ignoring this, my classmates gave me plenty of input!
Details of "tiles" from work for MMU conference
 
Again, as at the conference, there was interest in the “tiles”. There was a suggestion to introduce colour into the tiles, or to try strips. They suggested using photocopies and copies onto acetate to help composition. Another wake-up call around process. I know this – so why haven’t I been doing it? It’s been the time pressure that I’ve put myself under, of course. There was a feeling that the map elements might be too literal an interpretation of the journey, and it was suggested I consider cropping some of the work – effectively using a little square viewfinder to find points of interest. This tied in with ideas I’d had to do a few smaller pieces – paintings, prints, drawings, photos –based on the Mabgate photographs. A really interesting idea was to take a “slice” of work – why does everything have to be square, or rectangular.  

I particularly like the idea of basing something on the “tiles” but using colour and using strips so this is a probable area for experimentation.


London

The next day, the same five of us went to London. I’ve written reflections about the galleries we visited in this London Galleries page. However, there is something more to relate. We were all feeling pretty tired at about 4.30pm outside our last gallery, the Drawing Room, and after some discussion set off to walk to Elephant & Castle tube station to get the tube back to King’s Cross. We hadn’t go far when by chance we saw a bus going to King’s Cross so we boarded. This meant a top-deck view of Elephant & Castle, including the very development that Howard Read had been recording. I’ve never been to Elephant & Castle before in my life. It was such a heavy coincidence that it intuitively confirmed to me that my approach of the past week was the correct direction at this point.

 
Visiting galleries is thirsty work

No comments:

Post a Comment